|Blog November 2019|
November – The Month Of Giving Thanks!
November is more than just that - it’s the kick-off to the holidays, a chance to spend time with family, friends, and most importantly…it’s the month that everyone should focus on giving thanks to all that we are grateful for over the past year.
November is known as the month of ‘Giving Thanks’, showing gratitude, and simply saying “thank you”. It’s a time to recognize all of the hard work of your volunteers, association members, board members, and staff members. Make it a goal to use the rest of this month, or remainder of the year, to express your gratitude towards them. Take a minute to let each individual know that the association appreciates their contributions over the past year.
There are many ways to show your gratitude, and here are just a few you may consider:
· Write a handwritten letter, or postcard. A little note only reiterates to a volunteer or team member that all their hard work and time is appreciated. Things can get busy throughout the year and you are recognizing that and all they have done.
· Donate to a charity on their behalf. This does not have to be a large donation; it could be $5 to a local charity or a charity that is recognized, or supported, specifically by the association.
· Host an open house at your office or a drop-in event at a local establishment - A time for both team members, volunteers, and members to gather together.
· Does your office or association offer a recognition program? This is a chance for members, board members, leadership, or committee members to recognize and nominate individuals based on previously determined areas. Each week, or month, a new member could be recognized for their volunteerism, or a team member could be recognized for going above and beyond. The options are endless! McKenna Management is proud to offer its SNAPS program to recognize the efforts of our staff throughout the year.
· If you have an event or meeting coming up, take a minute at the beginning, middle, or end and recognize specific people for what they do and have done. A few minutes of recognizing your volunteers, staff, and supporters can go a long way.
And remember, you don’t have to wait for November to show your gratitude. Have you considered Giving Tuesday (in December) or even Thankful Thursday (each week)?
Karen Hill serves as Meeting Planner, bringing with her over 12 years of experience in meeting and event management, and customer service management. Prior to joining McKenna Management, she was an accounts and events manager with Stiles & Associates, where she managed hotel contracting, meeting logistics, and housing blocks from 10 to 450 rooms for a major television network. Karen received a BS degree from Lasell College and holds a Meeting & Event Management Certificate from Northeastern University’s College of Professional Studies.